I hate to break it to you Americans. Your food obsessions (Veganism, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Milk Free, etc, etc) are not going to make you any healthier than eating REAL food! Korea has really opened my eyes to all the delusional food wars that go on in America. I actually joke that Americans may move to Asian countries just to eat some meat in the future. Americans can make a healthy shift by visiting their local Asian supermarkets though. Creating an indoor home garden is also important! Moderation is key with all foods though.
It's always about balance.
I'll update if I come across any new favorites. You can research all of these items below...
* I'm actually writing this blog after eating two slices of convenience store "Morning Milk Toast" with olive oil on top. I caught myself in the moment wondering how this bread is so fluffy and fresh after atleast a week! Bananas will give you anxiety after a few days unless you freeze them for banana ice cream or smoothies. This milk toast is on another level of Asian-style bread magic! This is the bread to feed your soul! So many people haven't built up a lactase/lactose and gluten tolerance enough. Start small with homemade Asian-style breads. :)
* Jeju Tangerine Juice is simply addicting. You can make your own with all the tangerine picking experiences in Jeju. Either way, it's all goodness!
* Soybean Paste Stew can be spicy if you don't take out some of the peppers aka take out some of the peppers! lol It's a healthy bowl of veggie goodness. You can add fish, chicken, or beef to hang out with the tofu if you'd like. Enjoy it with some short grain white rice for a healthy meal. You can throw some olive oil over the white rice if you'd like. The olive oil's plastic pour bottles at the convenience store have many other uses as well (moisturizer, sugar scrubs, etc)
* Eggs shouldn't sound like a big deal. The fact that I didn't eat eggs in America makes it a big deal though. I didn't even like the taste of eggs for the longest time! It may have just been the annoyance of having to constantly worry about the egg being free range, cage free, and lord knows how many other labels you need to check. Now I'm eating scrambled egg whites every morning without worrying about where the chicken lived and if it had a family. Get some REAL eggs in your life if you can aka a pet chicken.
* Chicken...ooh Korean Fried Chicken! Anything in the frozen food section that involves red chicken is good. Heat it up on the stove for the best experience. Enjoy it with some cooked rice and olive oil. You can also order from any of the chicken and beer restaurants.
* Pork Cutlets have a great crunch. It's great with rice! I've only had the Jeju black pork cutlet so far. I don't know if there is a difference in taste between Jeju black pigs and typical pink pigs??? I'm sure it all tastes like roaming farm piggies though.
* Korean Sushi Rolls/Gimbap/Kimbap are a great little meal. If you take a multivitamin with iodine or other foods that contain iodine (garlic, etc), just take the seaweed off to avoid headaches. It then becomes a rice roll. It's still delicious due to the meat, veggies, kimchi, etc.
* All Asian Teas are worth looking into, esp Korean teas. I personally didn't know that Korea had so many unique teas! Japan and China usually get the most attention for teas. There are so many teas to try throughout Asia though. Bottled Raison tea, Hibiscus tea blend, Peach tea, and Green tea are my favorites so far. The great health benefits won me over as well! Just make sure to recycle all of those bottles when you can! :)
Summer is a great season for new adventures all around the World. The travel season comes with its share of annoyances though aka humidity and mosquitos! There are some natural remedies to keep you cool and unbothered though. ;)
* Ice Water - Mosquitos love warm body temperatures. Keep your body cool from the inside out by drinking plenty of ice water, especially after exercising. It will also boost your metabolism for weight loss. Electrolyte drinks are also beneficial for body hydration.
* Coconut Oil - Mosquitos love bacteria on the body. The antibacterial and deep moisturizing benefits of coconut oil are endless! Coconuts grow in tropical climates for a reason. Apply some coconut oil to your body and feet before heading out. A little jojoba oil and/or rosehip oil can be applied to the face for those with sensitive skin.
* Pastel Clothing - Mosquitos are attracted to dark colors (red, dark blue, black). They are little vampires after all! Enjoy loose clothing in pretty pastels to deter hungry mosquitos. Double up with healthy garlic and onion consumptions if you really want to keep mosquitos and/or people away!
* Natural Mosquito Repellents - Mosquitos and other insects hate vanilla, lavender, and peppermint oils. These are great scents to use as natural perfumes, refreshing face misters, and love attractors. Vanilla is associated with sweet and nurturing qualities. Lavender is associated with calm and relaxing qualities. Peppermint is associated with stimulating and happy qualities.
Once your essential oil bottles are used up, keep them! The scents are still active. Simply add some water to the bottles and shake them up. Transfer the scented water to a mini spray bottle for living environments, clothes, and/or body misters.
Nothing relaxes better than a massage, esp a foot massage! Self foot massages can bring a great deal of benefits to your overall health. Reflexology works with pressure points on the body to bring about healing benefits. You can use the chart above to stimulate healing on your feet and hands. Giving yourself a full foot session will have you feeling relaxed and detoxed. You will know that you're relaxed when one shoulder starts to relax down. That's when you can start on the other foot. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout your detox massage session. Those "crunchy" sounds just indicate that you're hitting some stagnant energy within your body. ;)
You can continue your session with a practical foot soak. The soles of your feet have some of the largest pores on your body. They can absorb a great deal for your internal healing. Try adding tea bags and/or essential oils for a warm or cool foot soak session. Try some antioxidant green teas, relaxing lavender oil, antibacterial tea tree oil, and/or calming magnesium epsom salts for a foot bath mixture. Get clever with some trash bag liners, an old crockpot for controlled heating, an unused trash can, a metal bowl, and/or a plastic bucket. Chillaxing doesn't have to be fancy. ;) Enjoy peppermint oil and almonds to keep your energy up if you're seeking a more stimulating soak.
Finish up with a salt scrub, an antibacterial moisturizing oil like coconut oil, and some cute socks.
Happy Reflexology Foot Massaging!
Climate Strikes and Air Pollution concerns have been in the news across the World. As Earth Day approaches, it's a great reminder to take Individual Responsibility for your Health and Mother Earth. Simple tips can go a long way in the overall collective efforts.
You can check out an updated list of the cities with the least and worst air pollutions at www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_current.jsp You may be surprised at some of the listings. It seems that some U.S. cities should be wearing outdoor dust masks and full eye protective sunglasses! Now you see why so many children today have some sort of allergy or respiratory condition. The future definitely needs some shifts.
* Plant a tree or garden - City gardens can be created anywhere to cut down on heat and pollution.
* Stay hydrated - Water and antioxidant teas clean out toxins and pollutants.
* Indoor Purification - Air filters and houseplants can help remove dust, pet dander, and household chemical products. Keep windows and doors closed with screen filters and insulation if your city has a lot of dust and pollution.
* Toxic Free Cleaning Products - Indoor air can be kept toxic free with natural cleaning products. Try cleaning with vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils (tea tree oil, citrus oils, etc).
* Vitamin C - Antioxidant Vitamin C helps to produce anti aging collagen. Collagen can break down in air pollution. Vitamin C keeps your immune system healthy from developing allergies, skin issues, and respiratory diseases.
* Recycle - Recyling paper, plastics, etc can cut down on trash piles. Using products made from recycled products can also assist the environment.
* Minimalism - Less is more. Consider a no waste lifestyle with bamboo utensil sets, glass jars, reusable water bottles, reusable grocery bags, etc.
My martial arts training was in Tai Chi and Kung Fu martial arts. I still enjoy practicing both forms when I'm in the mood. You may enjoy the same after trying this Tai Chi Kung Fu energy tip. Tai chi is the zen "slow motion" version of Kung Fu martial arts. That's a simple way of putting it though. It's a beautiful energy exercise for the young and old. Tai chi benefits your mind, body, and spirit as you work with the energy around you. The more you work with the Universe's abundant energies, the more control you'll have over creating energies in your own life.
Here's one way to use Tai Chi for Manifesting Energy...
1. Stand up with your back straight and your knees slightly bent. Make your body relaxed and loose. You can close your eyes if you wish.
2. Put your arms out to your side with your palms up.
3. Now breathe in as you lift your arms up slowly. It will look like you're making a heart shape with your hands on your head. <3
4. Now breathe out slowly as you pull your arms and palms down over your head. It will look like you're giving yourself a "raining energy shower".
5. Repeat if necessary with positive energy thoughts (love, happiness, abundance, etc).
Are you feeling more energized and positive?
If you enjoyed it, seek out a Tai Chi and/or Martial Arts class (local or abroad).
You're never too old to learn something new. :)
Duality is something that exists in every dimension. It's the only way to truly learn about yourself, others, and the World at large. Without it, it's just a lot of huffing and puffing about little things that don't matter. After cracking too many jokes in my head this morning about people's extremist natures, I've come to try to make some sense of it all.
At the end of the day it all comes down to perspective. When we don't take time to look at both sides of the coin, we lose important perspectives. We turn into extremists. Spiritual balance is all about acknowledging the light and dark in the World. I've seen both throughout the years in both sexes, genders, and dimensions!
As much as I love sunrises, rainbows, flowers, and the color pink, I also love sunsets, the dark of night, and the color black. As long as you're not hurting yourself and/or others, it's quite normal to have both aspects in your personality. It's the day and night flow of life, esp when both give you inspiration to create and/or educate. It's something to be more aware of as the World continues to shift and progress. Look at where you could use more spiritual balance in your daily life and mindsets. You never know where it may take you and your spirit in life. :)
Minimalist Living is living with what you Need AND with what makes you Happy.
Many experience a taste of minimalism when they go off to college to live the dorm life, apartment life, and/or home rental roommate life during their 20s. Minimalist travels often follow during that time as well. This was the case for me atleast. Even when accumulations happens, there's often a purge sale that gets me back to the minimalist lifestyle.
Minimalism is the desired peace and calm that so many crave.
Here's how I've made Minimalist Living work for me...
* Take Inventory - Taking inventory of what you actually use throughout the day, week, and month can really point you into the right direction. Choose a designated area in each room for those daily items. You'll start to notice how much goes unused. This includes your furniture and appliance uses as well. After awhile you will know exactly what to bag up for donations and/or sales.
Use a picnic basket as an example for kitchen streamlining. Consider eco friendly portable items (Ex: portable induction stove, crockpot, etc). Most people only need and/or use 1-3 items in their daily living (Ex: 3 small forks, plates, glasses, food jars, fridge containers, reusable eco straws, etc).
* Go Holistic - Many people are sensitive to the fragrances and chemicals in cleaning supplies and toiletries. Seeking out healthy alternatives can save you from allergies and headaches. Consider basics like baking soda, vinegar, and essential oils for weekly cleaning.
My favorite holistic toiletries are made from coconut oil, salt, and essential oils. The antibacterial coconut oil can be used for just about everything that you can think of
(toothpaste, mouthwash, salt scrubs, body moisturizer, hair conditioner, etc).
Eco friendly brand soaps and toiletries are handy for the things that you don't want to DIY.
My favorite anti aging essential oils include lavender (fragrance, sleep aid, salt scrubs, relaxing baths, etc), tea tree oil (face cleanser, mouthwash, first aid, etc), rosehip oil (collagen producing "botox" moisturizer, dark circle removal, hair conditioner, etc), and peppermint oil (fragrance, hair growth, mouthwash, instant peppermint tea, alertness, etc) Organic vanilla extract is a fun fragrance as well.
My makeup is kept simple with BB Cream, Mineral Powder, and Organic Brand Lip Tints.
* Get Comfortable - Comfort is important for every living being. Having comfortable throws, pillows, hobbies (Ex: canvases and paints), teas, pajamas, satin robes, leggings, etc can make you feel at home anywhere in the World! I consider these items my "nesting" essentials. :)
What essentials make you feel at home?
Anti-aging is a word that has had its share of "antis". It's funny though because there's nothing wrong with aging. It's a matter of how Fast or how Sloooow you wish to age that matters. Make the decision early on to avoid aging regrets. ;)
Luckily there's a simple way to age gracefully without the assistance of needles and/or surgeons...Nom Noms! It's the foodies way of life! Eating collagen rich foods will keep you youthful for years to come! Collagen Powder works well too! ;)
Thanksgiving is actually one of the healthiest holidays for collagen rich foods, esp when the food is cooked with quality ingredients. Simply follow the healthy plate guidelines (1/4 fruit, 1/4 veggies, 1/4 starches, 1/4 protein) to create a variety of colorful collagen meals.
Enjoy some of these healthy collagen producing foods to keep your skin, hair, nails, joints, and muscles smooth, elastic, hydrated, and youthful. Focus on garden fresh and/or frozen organic varieties to get the most nutritional benefits...
Do You Need More Sleep?
A great night's sleep is necessary for a healthy mind, body, and spirit.
A good 8-10 hours of sleep benefits your memory, life span, body's metabolism, and brain's alertness. Sleep alleviates stress, depression, and inflammatory diseases.
Here are 10 ways to achieve a great sleep tonight...
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is a relaxing oil that only requires a dab.
Dab on the soles of your feet for instant absorption, your neck, and/or your scalp.
2. Organic Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is a warm and soothing tea to enjoy 30 minutes
before bedtime. It's a wonderful way to wind down for the night.
3. Magnesium Powder
The body requires magnesium for muscle and nerve health.
We can get it from our food and/or supplements. The reason many of us are irritable and/or constipated is due to a lack of magnesium. Smokers are the most deficient. Magnesium is a natural stress reliever as well.
4. Eye Masks
Eye masks are great for blocking out distracting light.
The brain instantly goes into sleeping mode in pitch darkness.
5. Ear Plugs
Ear plugs can assist you on vacations and/or next
to a snoring partner. I would suggest that you or your partner sleep in different rooms if the snoring is really bad. Your health comes first!
6. Rain Soundtracks
Who doesn't love the sound of rain?
Some of our best sleep comes during a rainstorm.
Zzzz off to sleep with a free 24/7 rain stream via www.rainymood.com.
7. Satin Sheets
Combine with satin pajamas and you're good to go for a wrinkle free sleep!
8. Comfortable Mattress
Try an organic memory foam mattress, mattress pads, and/or mattress futon. Take note of your ideal sleeping heights. Some people sleep better when they are low to the ground.
Body pillows and memory foam pillows are great for receiving a great night's sleep.
Sleep on two satin pillows for the perfect wrinkle free beauty sleep.
This will reduce bags and black circles from forming as well.
Place a pillow between your legs to align your body if you sleep on your side.
The ideal beauty sleep position is on your back though!
10. Blackout Curtains
The brain instantly goes into sleeping mode
with pitch darkness. Combine with a blackout eye mask for great sleeping results!
Having a great sense of humor + a healthy mind, body, and spirit will always help you to cope with life. Mental breaks via Staycations are another great way!
Here are some ways to enjoy a Mental Staycation of your own...
* Magnesium - Magnesium is a beneficial mineral for body relaxation and function. High stress times can deplete this vital mineral to the max. Enjoying Epsom Salt soaks, high magnesium foods, and/or Magnesium Powder supplements can help. You can take two teaspoons at night to sleep like a baby. You can also take it throughout the day to ease stresses. Enjoy those nap times.
* Decorate in Blue - It can however bring a cooling and relaxing sensation to living rooms, esp in the North, East, and Southeast sectors of the home. Beach themed decor can really transform any space into a seaside retreat. Simply get creative with ocean curtains, water fountains, and/or ocean soundtracks.
* 2nd Hand Travel - You don't have to leave the comforts of home in order to travel. You can always find someone who has been there and done that around the World. Check out fun locations via travel blogs, vlogs, and tripadvisor. Order your own room service via your favorite local spots as you "cruise" along.
* Local Travel - Staycations at a local resort and/or luxury vacation rental can mentally take you away from your daily surroundings, esp during the off seasons. It's a great way to travel if you're not in the mood to board a long distance plane, train, and/or car. There's always Fall for that. ;)
Why are you always so happy? Why are you always laughing? What's so funny? Blah blah blah. I've heard it all throughout my life from those who don't get it and those who want more of it! ;)
We all have days when we aren't always in the mood to smile or laugh though. Those are the days that you can easily shift with a few happiness tips...
*SMILE - Even if you're not in the mood, Just Do It! haha Smiling for 30 seconds releases your happy chemicals. Try it out! :)
*LAUGH - Everyone has something that makes them laugh every single time. You can even start thinking about it right now. Laughing for atleast 15 minutes will instantly change your mood!
*ORGANIZE - Worry keeps a lot of people unhappy. A decluttered and organized life can calm you down. Try delegating tasks, writing out your monthly To Do list on yellow paper with blue pens (memory retention), and creating a morning or nightly routine (meals, clothing, skincare, etc).
*SHORT HAIR - Short hairstyles are definitely subjective. Any woman who has kept her hair at shoulder length or shorter has felt the instant stress relief! Allow your hair's "dead energy" to go every month and/or season.
*EXERCISE - Athletic kids and adults can all attest to the happiness that comes from a workout session, esp if you're doing something active like martial arts, boxing, etc. Tai chi, Yoga, Belly dancing, Hula, etc are also great when you want more zen.
*CREATIVITY - Art in all of its forms can bring you happiness. Try playing an instrument, dancing to a good beat, and doodling with some pencils or paints.
*FOOD - Food makes a lot of people happy. The happiest meals will come in a rainbow of colors. Supplements like magnesium, omega 3 krill oil or fish oil, and vitamin D can also benefit you. All of these supplements will calm your nerves, keep your skin and heart healthy, and take care of your body's Vit D sunshine needs. Potassium is another great mineral to get into your system. Many people are deficient. Enjoy more salmon, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados, spinach, etc.
*ANIMALS - Animals make a lot of people happy. Volunteer at an animal shelter, rescue a pet that fits your lifestyle, become a pet sitter, visit a dog park, and/or simply enjoy some cute animal videos.
*MUSIC - Music is probably one of the greatest "happy pills" to take in life. Turn on your favorite BOPS. If you're really in the mood to chill, try some Smooth Jazz! Nothing says relaxation better than instrumentals. :)
If you're headed out on a spiritual adventure, there are a few Zen tips that you may want to consider beforehand...
1. Trust Your Gut - Most people know where they'd like to visit around the World. This can be due to past lives and/or present life interests. One trick that you can use is to place an image of a map under your pillow. Literally sleeping on it can bring in intuitive dreams. This will give you an idea of locations that are best suited for your current energy needs.
2. Stick to the Universal 3s - The Universe vibrates in 3s. Take note of the Top 3 countries, states, cities, etc that you wish to visit. You can even take note of the Top 3 landmarks, restaurants, hiking trails, hotels, etc that you wish to visit as well. This can help you to organize your travels without getting overwhelmed. You can even plan a 3 month trip out with 3 week stays in each spot.
3. Stay at Zen Hotels, Rentals, etc - Look for minimalist locations that pride themselves in relaxation. Japantown in San Fran for example is a Japanese escape from the rest of the city. A lot of cities and countries often have zen spots for you to choose from.
4. Incense & Salts - Incense is a great way to smudge your new locations, souvenirs, etc. Everything holds energy. It's personally how women and men mark their territory in dating relationships. They buy you stuff. lol Take some incense sticks with you to give your aura and your possessions a once over. Holding things in your hands before purchasing them can often give you an intuitive sense as well. This is a form of psychometry (feeling out an object's energy). Less is generally more though. Consider if you're actually going to put any souvenir to use.
Epsom bath salts provide your aura with an auric cleanse after a long day of hiking and/or relaxing. You'll also get a healthy dose of relaxing magnesium.
5. Food Options - High vibration foods will keep you feeling energized and less weighed down during your travels. Gather up some fruits and veggie meals via grocery store stops, grocery store delivery services, and/or room service. Discover what's available beforehand to save you time.
6. All Inclusive - Sometimes it's best to just go with an all inclusive resort that does everything for you. These spa resort retreats can really put your mind at ease if you're not into planning activities, meals, etc beforehand.
Happy Zen Travels!
Discover how colors influence your chakras (the body's energy centers) and your overall wellbeing. Work with the colors through food and color visualizations to stimulate and balance your system.
Purple - Purple is a spiritual, creative, and extravagant color. It's a royal color that can be used to boost our self esteem and relax our minds. Purple is associated with your spiritual crown chakra.
Blue - Blue is a peaceful, relaxing, and cooling color. It's a trusting color that can open communications. Indigo and Blue are associated with your sixth sensory third eye chakra and communicative throat chakra.
Green - Green is a relaxing, nurturing, and fertile color. It's a calming color that can relax just about anyone. It's a grounding color that can bring you inner peace. Green is associated with your loving heart chakra.
Yellow - Yellow is an energetic, intellectual, and cheerful color. It's a mental color that can assist in your memory retention, esp when combined with blue. Yellow is associated with your life force solar plexus chakra.
Orange - Orange is a happy, energetic, and social color. It's a stimulating color that can boost your creativity. Orange is associated with your sexual and creative sacral chakra.
Red - Red is a powerful, passionate, and aggressive color. It's a strong color that catches everyone's attention. Red is associated with your
grounded base chakra.